My Ex Was A Cheapskate

When you care about someone and they’re cheap with you financially and emotionally, it'll do nothing but bring down your self-worth and self-esteem. We learned valuable lessons about equality in relationships and what NOT to put up with. Thanks to all the cheap pricks who made this site possible. We may not have gotten a lot from you, but what we did get is a good laugh. At your expense! Send your story to excheapskate@yahoo.com

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Can You Buy Some Class at K-mart?

From: Jentastic

No matter how many Lifetime movies or Afterschool specials a girl sits through, there comes a time in her life when she settles for a man who’s not good enough for her. Maybe it’s because she’s horny, drunk, lonely or all of the above, she dates a guy who’s just not 100% right in the head. Or even 60% right in the head.

I dated Kevin (not his real name but I already hate someone named Kevin so I might as well use this as my name for all men I hate—no offense to actual nice Kevins, if you even exist!) for only about 3 months. We worked together and his tales of cheapness were already legendary around the office. Rumor had it that he’d go out for happy hour drinks and say “Hey, why don’t you get the first round and I’ll get the second round” and after the first round he’d say he was using the restroom and never come back. So with a story like that I really can’t say I wasn’t warned. However, a shallow dating pool and nickel beer night will cause you to do strange pathetic things.

Kevin and I went out for our first date after working together for a while. He’d invited me to dinner and a movie. Dinner was at the Steak ‘n Shake. OK, I would have rather gone to a nicer place but it’s not a huge deal, right? There was a definite kitsch value to the dinner at Steak ‘n Shake. Plus, they’re supposedly “famous for steakburgers”. After dinner we drove to the theatre. He said “Do you think you’ll want to get candy or something” and I said “A movie isn’t a movie without candy” so he pulls up in front of the Kmart and says we can get our candy there and then go to the movie. OK, I do this all the time with my friends but on a date? A first date? It’s a little odd. If you can’t afford to take a girl to Olive Garden and buy her some Goobers you probably should just not date for a while. We went into K-mart and he bought himself some candy and a large bottle of water—which he then hid in my purse since the theatre didn’t allow outside food. When we got to the theatre I decided I’d get my own soda but time was running out before the movie started. Kevin forgot his wallet in the car so he offered to take my $5 bill and get me a soda while I use the restroom before the movie. I come out and he’s bought me the kiddie small (a $2.30 value) and KEPT MY CHANGE. AND he was drinking out of my soda!

I have no excuse for the fact that I went out with him again.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:03 PM, Blogger dirtyweekender said…

    Don't feel too bad - my ex once proudly presented me with some cotton candy that he got out of the half price, expired foods cart at the grocery store.

     
  • At 1:09 PM, Blogger dirtyweekender said…

    i was kind of momentarily surprised when my husband bought us a bottled water while we were in central park in NY b/c i was thirsty. my ex would've suggested we find a drinking fountain somewhere or stick our heads under the sink...

     
  • At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Korean Grocery Store said…

    My ex once gave me strawberry Pockey and whale shaped crackers for my birthday, which wouldn't have been bad except that the other presents were used records. That he got at half price.

     
  • At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home